Each year, on Ash Wednesday I try to give up something I like during the 40 days of lent. Even if you are not Catholic, lenten practices are a good way to stay grounded and keep things in perspective by sacrificing a product, ritual or habit that you normally indulge in. In the past, I have given up everything from chocolate to TV to my glass of wine with dinner.Participating in this aspect of lent helps me realize how lucky & blessed I am - which is easy to lose track of when you are working and living in a city that is driven by money, status and power. I hope when Greta is old enough, she will see the value in this as well.
On the list this year:
- Stop socializing with friends except on a monthly basis
- Stop reading books and watching most TV
- Cut gym time down to a minimum of once a week
- Don't get a full night's rest - ever!
Now of course, I have been doing ALL of these since September 21, 2008. :D
So, for the next 40 days I will not be giving up anything else, but instead, I will try to share a daily affirmation or act of kindness with others -friends, family and strangers - based on the "positives" (and not just Greta stuff). Are you doing anything?

1 comment:
I am not Christian but I think that Lent is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to reflect on both what we have and what we delude ourselves into thinking we need. Also Lent helps us refocus on what is important in our lives - family, health, love - and rededicate our life's mission to supporting those things.
Thanks for this reminder, Jenn!
Post a Comment