Saturday, February 28

Sick baybe = stressed parents

Luckily, Greta has gone over five months without a sign of cold or flu. Even at Ana's for the past two months with three other girls - she has been muy bueno. This week - not so much.

She started running a fever Tuesday nite... by the morning she was fine again. I picked her up from Ana's on Wednesday after work and she look so defeated. Red swollen eyes, runny nose, cough and warm to the touch. I called the Pediatrician on my way home and luckily they were still at the office so I took her straight away.

Her temperature clocked in at a balmy 103 ( ok, 102.9) but still.. that's high!! She was tested for the flu and RSV and the doc was surprised by the mere looks of her that she had neither. So we got sent home with a tylenol regime while monitoring her other symptoms.

The past four nights have been sleepless for Derek and myself. She has been super fussy - waking about every hour (or least it seems) whimpering just to be held. The fever is high in the evening and breaks during the night - in the a.m. and she appears fine. The new twist is that since Friday a.m. - she refuses to eat more than an ounce or two. She'll cry like she's hungry and take an little and then start crying more and spit it up... By Saturday afternoon, I was at my wits end and decided to page the Pediatrician. They were quick in their response. The doc instructed us to mix 1/2 tsp. mylanta and 1/2 tsp. children's benadryl to help with her throat pain. I did do that but it just made her sleepy and she passed out.... As luck has it, we had arranged a sitter tonite so Derek and I could have some adult time before he leaves out of town for work for four nights. But we are staying in and ordering pizza with little one...

She's waking now and I'll try feeding her again... If anyone has any other ideas on how to soothe her - please let me know!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some advice for you. It's merely a guessing game with babies and their illnesses when they're that little. Eli had an ear infection when he was one week old, believe it or not. He was ill more often that Greta, but I still never was able to discern what was wrong until the doc diagnosed something.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a humidifier in her room at night? Sometimes that helps them breathe and sleep better. Just a thought. Hope tonight is a better night!
Sara =)

Mommy & Me said...

Oh I have heard that ear infections are the worst. All of these "fun" things to look forward to... Yes, we do use a humidifier in the room at night. She's eating a little better up to about 3.5 oz and trying to feed her more often but she is still not real happy.. running a marathon has nothing on being a mommy!!