Saturday, February 14

Act of love?

Salma breastfeeding: saint or exploiter?

On a recent trip to Sierra Leone, Salma Hyek met a starving mother and her infant. Saddened by the situation, Salma decided to breastfeed the mother's baby - in front of the cameras! Some were sickened by the gesture and thought it was a publicity stunt. But as a new mother, I saw this as an act of unselfish humanity - it made me weepy. I would have done the same thing.

What about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was also a really kind gesture. I think Americans are really freaked out by breastfeeding, whereas the rest of the world doesn't think a thing of it. I'm sure Salma is just laughing that anyone found this offensive.

Khordaddy said...

Going to have to say I think it was a kind gesture. Our society has lost touch with what many other cultures do. Good for her.

http://dadsonlineguide.blogspot.com

AmyVictoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AmyVictoria said...

I have to say I'm one of the ones "freaked out" by seeing a woman openly breast feeding in public. However, I strongly defend and support breast feeding as the best thing a mother can do for her baby. I have no issue with what Salma did as long as it was done discreetly. I would have done the same.