Did you know that when using any type of public transportation including buses and taxis, a car seat is not necessary?It's quite odd that such a stringent safety law has such a big loophole. Not that I am complaining, as Greta has gone in a cab to and from the airport in the Bjorn without a car seat on limited occasions out of necessity. In VA, you can order a cab a day in advance with a car seat. But as I found out from one dispatcher when I called about it, they actually recommended no car seat because as the dispatcher said, "who wants their child riding around in a car seat used by hundreds of others and who knows the last time it's been cleaned?!"
What is your take on the car seat law? Have you ever gone sans car seat in a pinch?

6 comments:
Yes well there are many of us that can say we grew up never once sitting in a car seat and we're still here to tell about it. Car seats are great and have their purpose as do seatbelts, helmets and the rest but lets give a little room to the sanity of life itself and let baby bjorns, laps and the ever famous side arm hold of mom and dad (as we all got from our parents while in the car) do their job once and a while. Besides... it gives kids a chance to sneak a peak out the front window rather than having to stare at the seat in front of them all the time. Just my two cents on the matter...
This is definitely food for thought Jenn...maybe I don't need the mini van after all for the twins. I have actually never gone w/o the car seat, but I have never traveled with Jerry or Katie....and after the twins come, I don't think I will even make it to the grocery store!
I was a real stickler for using the car seat at all times with Eli. He's in a booster seat now, and I won't even go the 2 blocks to the sitter's house without bucking him in. I always figure it's better to be safe than sorry, even if it's more of a pain.
Would have never let my child ride home in a taxi. I would have met them at the gate with such anticipation. Derek is a great Dad and Greta is a lucky little girl. Can't wait to see her again....maybe at Dad's 40th!!!!!
Much debate on this topic... Thank you all! More things to think about... what do all of the parents in NYC who don't have cars do with their babies/toddlers? If your little one is under 7, would avoid taking them to the "big city" b/c there are no car seats/boosters available in taxis or on buses? What about school buses? No seat belts there. Just food for thought.. In our case, we have no family in the area to lean on and we both work full time with Derek traveling out of town as well so our choices can sometimes be limited. I know my thinking may not be traditional but I look at each situation as unique and do what makes the most sense at that time.
Jenn - you both are doing a great job and there is no wrong answer - just the best solution given the realities of life and schedules and certainly the goal of safety as best as possible. The reality remains that taxis buses and trains don't have car seats now nor did they ever - cars didn't either until well after any of us writing in this debate were beyond the age to sit in one. So to be critical to the rare occasion of not having a car seat available seems a bit unfair to the limitations of even modern day transportation and to parents who otherwise demonstrate their best safety and concern for their child.
Post a Comment