I have to admit that in my 38 years before having Greta, the thought of eating cereal for dinner was blasphemy.For years I have been a foodie - happy to spend the last couple bucks in my bank account on the coolest, new sushi roll.
Though I was a late blommer. I grew up in rural West Virginia and before I set out to college - I had not even had as much variety as simple chinese food. Pizza delivery was not a part of my repretoire of experiences until my early 20's. But once I tasted the more refined side of food - I was hooked and it stayed that way.
After that, I could never understand those folks who would come into work and say that they had cereal for dinner. I thought to myself what a sad, pitifully dull life they lead.
Meanwhile, I was having dinner out five nights a week and even made my stay-in-nights alone special with a glass of red wine or gourmet dessert. I tried every new place in town and even knew which night to go for the best deal.
But now, I can finally say that I have crossed over. Those folks who have had cereal for dinner and been ok with it no longer speak Greek to me....
Honestly, with being a single mom, it's an exception rather than a rule if I actually get to eat dinner before she goes to sleep at 8pm. In fact, there have been some nights where I was just to tired to even fuss with eating.
Now digging into a crunchy, sweet bowl of cereal at 8:30pm has *almost* become a treat I look forward to. It's funny how things can change so drastically but yet be "ok".
I'll always be a foodie - I just couch the time-being as a temporary hiatus for a very good "cause".
Does anyone else out there have a favorite dinner cereal?

No comments:
Post a Comment