
This past week, a few co-workers and myself we having a discussion about languages and their desire to learn or re-learn languages like French, Italian and even Greek.
This conversation got me thinking about Greta's world of communication. When you break it down, it actually gets sort-of complicated:
1) At home, she hears English.
2) Five days a week, she hears nothing but Spanish from Ana and the kids.
3) At mealtimes, I have been on this kick of singing her a few melodies I know in French - she loves Alouette and Frere Jacques.
4) In addition, she is getting bi-monthly sign language training and watches a few signing videos a week.
5) On top of that... I swear I caught the cat teaching her how to "meow" effectively in order to get more bottle face time.
Enough already... Many parents preach that babies are a sponge at this age and to take full advantage of the opportunities.... but how much is too much?
Now my burning issue: what will her first word be and more importantly... in what language?!
So now it's time for the experienced folks to chime in and tell me I am stressing over stupid, insignifcant things. Then, I can chill out and sing her an old Coca-cola tune that I learned as a kid.

3 comments:
I don't count signing in there as the same thing. It's kinesthetic, whereas the Spanish and English are verbal. That's great that she hears both so much. Just don't be surprised when she tries to speak Spanish to you when she begins to talk.
Ola Cassie - where does meowing fall in the language spectrum? Should we get worried if she starts requesting her milk in a shallow saucer? :)
She should definately learn Pittsburghese. "Youins goin dahntahn to watch 'em Stillers 'n 'nat?"
Post a Comment