Monday, August 10

Ms. Popular

It was bound to happen...


Back in my childless days, I cringed when I heard about 1 and 2 year olds going to birthday parties and other social events of their "friends".

Really... who is capable of having a "friend" at that age? A new study pointed to evidence that the average dog is as smart as a two year old child. Does that mean that dogs can have as packed a social life as some two year olds I know?



Anyway, the whole concept of children having a social calendar at that age seemed so silly and frivolous to me.



Now, after almost 11 months with our little alien being, I get it.

"It" being the dynamics of a baby social calendar. Especially when family isn't nearby, it's nice to have others that you and your child can begin to share a bond with over the "growing" years. Plus, by having a child you are automatically inducted into the super exclusive club where "members only" understand the perils of sleep deprivation, colicky infants and diaper explosions that even FEMA would pass on. It's a bond you'll share forever - like it or not.

So it goes that Ms. Greta received her first invitation in the mail to a "friend's" first birthday party. The invitation was delicate and very original with each being handmade. It also just so happened to match the outfit she was wearing on the day it arrived in the mail.
Serious simpatico.


Now enlightened, I can't wait to go to the birthday party and I am thrilled Greta is creating her own circle of friends.... but really, I promise, no mobile phone for another couple of years...


No comments: