When you have a baby and leave the hospital you get a big thick packet of papers that essentially prove that the baby is yours. The hospital also applies for the social security card and you get that in the mail a few weeks after you return home.We are going to Jamaica in two weeks. This means that even Greta needs a passport. I went to gather all of her credentials a couple weeks ago and low and behold.. there is NO birth certificate!!
Whhhhhaaaaaaaatt? How can this be? I mean… at the very least, if you give birth… the baby should come with the certificate. You and the baby earned it, right?
So I dug through my big stack of legal hospital documents and spied this one page nonchalant request form for a copy of the certificate for $12. $12??! This process is not far from applying for an extended warranty on a camera. Will I get yearly renewal bills on her certification too? Plus why do I have to PAY for her birth certificate?!? This should be a rite of passage freebie, in my humble opinion.
At the end of the day, we dropped $72 to have a copy of her certificate expedited to us by the state of VA. Btw, their idea of "expedite" is a lazy five days. So in respect of any future parents out there, be warned that the baby does not, in fact, come complete out of the hospital with a birth certificate.
We are headed down to the US Passport Office on Friday to apply in person. Nothing like last minute drama to spice up the vacation anticipation…
At the end of the day, we dropped $72 to have a copy of her certificate expedited to us by the state of VA. Btw, their idea of "expedite" is a lazy five days. So in respect of any future parents out there, be warned that the baby does not, in fact, come complete out of the hospital with a birth certificate.
We are headed down to the US Passport Office on Friday to apply in person. Nothing like last minute drama to spice up the vacation anticipation…

6 comments:
wow - who knew?!! Get there early on Friday, bring snacks, and the trip itinerary for Greta/you both as well as all the ID/social security cards/passports for you and Derek - and they'll get you processed! Likely will have to go back on Tuesday or something to pick it up but for all its frustrations at times, living in DC does have its rewards on the Passport front. Same day service at no extra charge ... and don't bother making an 'appointment' in advance... it gets you nothing but the guarantee of waiting in line that you would do anyway!
Thank you for the tips! I did make an appointment and hopefully they'll have mercy on the baby in thecrowd. Maybe not. Yes it is a complete circus preparing for this visit to the passport office tomorrow. I called US Airways and had Grata added to our itinerary ($80) so they could issue her own ticket for the passport office to see even though she will be riding on our lap.
Smart thinking on the itinerary! What time is your 'appointment'? I would go first thing in the morning regardless. I learned when I was there that the appointment just means you get to stay after they 'stop letting people in' at 3pm. You'll still have to 'get a number' when you arrive which doesn't associate to your appointment at all - but does dictate when you get called up to the window. I got there at 11:30am. A guy with a "noon" appointment came in and got a number right after me...my number was higher than his so I got to the window at 2pm... he got to the window at 2:15. And um.. no on the baby mercy. We stood with a family that had 3 kids.. they got called by their number as well... Just the reality - but it'll go quick once you are at the window I promise! :)
Hmm.. maybe this should be a "daddy daughter activity" since I am the only one who does have a valid passport for this trip. We have an 8 a.m appt. First thing. Is there parking nearby?
Wow - cool - an 8am appointment is certainly a good time slot. You'll be one of the first in line regardless! -- no worries on that part then! But in fact -- BOTH parents have to be there for the child passport. I only know this from the parents with three kids. They found out the hard way - so best you are both there with all your stuff and it will go smoothly. Being there that early though you'll be in and out in no time!! :)
as for parking... hmm... its right on 19th between M and L streets. No parking on 19th but lots of meters around on the blocks surrounding it. Also a parking garage right next to the Passport office so if you just want to make life easy....that is an option as well. Good luck!!
Post a Comment