Monday, March 23

What would you do!?


It's a bird.. it's a plane... it's suuuuuperbaby!


It was another mommy/baby weekend as Derek was working out of town. We had lots o' fun taking the new stroller out for a spin and having friends come over for dinner.

On Sunday morning, we ventured to the Best Buns so I could get a real cup o' joe and homemade cheese danish to get the day started.

While we were waiting in line, G's binks fell out onto the dirty slate floor. A cute lil boy picked it up to give it back to her. I quickly scooped up the binks and thanked him since the floor of a public coffee house is not the cleanest place. The boy's mom saw this and said to me, "this must be your first, by the second baby, you don't care where the pacifier has been."

I was stunned by her response. Ok sure, I punch in the pass code at the ATM or grocery store with my knuckle so my fingertip doesn't touch the germy keypad but really...
Do moms really put the binks back in the baby's mouth after it hits the floor of a public spot? If your straw fell on the floor would you automatically put it back in your mouth?

Am I being neurotic and should loosen up about cleanliness or merely trying to prevent yet another baby cold plus it's just kinda gross. Chime in, I need some perspective!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never put it back in their mouth either. Do you have one of those binky things that attaches one end to the binky and one end to the outfit? I never used them, but they seem to be a good idea. Don't worry you're not too cautious.
Sara =)

Anonymous said...

I think she was exaggerating a bit, but I also think that you loosen up on the "germ front" the older your kid gets and probably also as more kids are born. Sadly, what's on the floor of a coffee shop can be FAR from the dirtiest thing that goes in their mouth.

Don said...

I'm a big believer in the need to build a kid's immune system through exposure, but I'd draw the line at a place that well-traveled. It's not just a germ issue there, it's also pesticide and herbicide spray people might have trekked through.

Besides, kids are gonna take the initiative on jamming stuff in their mouths by themselves, why be a helper?

Shelly said...

I really hope she was just kidding. Maybe in our own home the 3 sec rule applies during a scream fest here or there but never with a public floor.

AmyVictoria said...

enn, you are right on in your thoughts. If you wouldn't put it in your mouth, why would you EVER put it in your baby's mouth. The woman was a nutcase. I go so far as to carry the disposable latex gloves in my car for instances such as using the ATM and pumping gas. Keep up the good work, your instincts are top notch. Sorry I haven't been as present on here, we are dealing with a very close friend who is struggling with bone cancer and it gets very depressing at times.