Tuesday, April 21

KISS

It always amazes how differently Derek and I think about the same thing. Lately that "thing" has been Greta.

When he is holding Greta, I become the personal assistant... "can you find her binks?".. "where's the burp cloth?".... Almost like he has a baby handicap and while he's holding Greta - nothing else can possibly get done.

On the flip side, from my solo maternity leave days, I learned quickly how to eat dinner, pump and fold clothes all at the same time. Ok, that might be an exaggeration but I did read a report somewhere where women are much better multitaskers than men. In many instances, that pays off when the family is trying to get out the door.


On the other hand, some days I am sooo wrapped up in the details of everyday life: getting dinner ready, preparing her food, washing clothes, etc that I forget to live in the moment. That's where Dads come in. They can bring Momma back down from her never-ending to-do list and enjoy a special moment of parenthood.

Here's one:This past weekend, I had to run out while Derek took care of sick baby. When I got back, he was so proud that he gotten some things done around the house while he laid her down for a nap. It was endearing. I took a peek in her room and lo and behold daddy had laid her down in her heavily stained sweet potatoes bib and covered her with a cloth table napkin - no blankie to be found. It wasn't the way I would have done things but she was content and so was happy - it just made me smile and reminded that sometimes it's ok to skip a step here and there and keep it simple.

3 comments:

Taneen said...

This 'multitasking' theory is also well demonstrated in restaurants. Watch a waitress get six tables taken care of in one swoop and a waiter make six separate trips to each table and back to the kitchen again. Both work in their own way but really guys... you could have grabbed that dirty dish on your way by. :) Kudos to you both for adding your own styles to Greta's upbringing and finding a way to appreciate the little joys along the way!

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure that she looked just like Jenn, but she looks so much like Derek in these pix.

Well, multitasking must not be a Skaggs thing. I can multitask when it comes to work, but when it comes to the kids, I have a hard time doing anything besides being with them.

But, I do 100% agree that daddy's do bring a new perspective and help you enjoy the moment.

Sara =)

Tracey said...

Jenn:

She is just beautiful!

(And amen about the multitasking thing)