I am already sad over the thought of losing the status of calling Greta my "baby".
She is sweet, loving and cuddly and relies on me to help her with so many things. Soon she will become much more independent and need less Mommy help. The logical me knows that it's selfish and irrational to think this way but it has to be a feeling many parents deal with at this age.
So it brings me to the question of how much time do I have left to actually call her my "baby"?
I did a little research online and the information often conflicts.
Some claim that "toddler" is derived from the way babies walk when they are learning - they "toddle" which is around twelve months. This is why children from the ages of 12-24 months are considered toddlers. After they turn two, they are simply "two."
Other people claim that at 18 months, a baby is officially a toddler. in fact, many daycare centers use this age as a differentiator between baby and toddler.
I know this is a silly question but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject. And, yes, I know some will say that she will always be my "baby" and this is certainly true but this is more of a technical question.
Saturday, September 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
In theory, I say age 2. Isn't there some state law that regulates day care centers that uses the age of two as the age where the adult/child ratio changes and the day rate for care is reduced?
HOWEVER, I think you can call her your baby for the rest of your life. Just try not to do it in front her prom date or college admissions officer.
I have to agree with Susan. Katie is 19 months and I still call her my baby, even though she is already a big sister...lol
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they still need a lot of help. They don't really start becoming independent until around age 2.
I bought Katie a Dora potty seat over the weekend and she is looking at it like I am crazy!
Jenn, you can call her "baby" all the way up through graduation of college, LOL. Zachary is this huge 6' strapping man, and I still refer to him as my baby. I try to not do that around his friends, but hey, sometimes it slips. We're mothers, we are allowed that priviledge.
Post a Comment